The Jewish cemetery in Przysucha (Cmentarna Street) was created about 1745. In 1929 its area was enlarged. The last known burial took place here in 1942.

During World War II, in 1942 Germans devastated the cemetery and the gravestones were used to strengthen the fortification around the local military police station.

About 20 damaged gravestones were preserved from the cemetery area of 1.35 hectares. The oldest one is dated 1771. Also two undestroyed matzevas were preserved near the ohels. After the war, local authorities intended to close the cemetery and create a park in its area. [1.1]

In 1987 the Foundation of Nissenbaum Family reordered and cleaned the area of the cemetery and installed metal fencing. Two ohels were then constructed. The former is placed over the gravestone of a preacher and one of the first supporters of Hasidism in central Poland - Abraham from Przysucha (died in 1806).

The other is the double ohel with eight brass plates, two of which are to commemorate the founders. The other plates are there in memory of distinguished tzadiks who were closely tied with the school in Przysucha: Jakub Icchak Rabinowicz called the Saint Jew (1766-1813), Symcha Bunim (176501827), Jerachmiel from Przysucha (1784-1836), Jakub Icchak Elchanan (died in 1873), Jerachmiel Juda Meir from Przysucha (died in 1897) and Cwi Hirsz Mordechaj from Przysucha (died in 1865).

Each year Hassids being close to the Przysucha dynasty of tzadiks came to the town with pilgrimage.

* Punkt na mapa.szukacz.pl [as at April 24, 2009].
* Punkt na mapy.google.pl [as at April 24, 2009].
 

Print
Footnotes
  • [1.1] Archive of New Records, Office for Religious Affairs, sign. 22/456, k. 1, Letter from Provincial State Council in Kielce to the Office for Religious Affairs dated November 18, 1954