There is no information on the date and circumstances in which Jews appeared in Lubsko. Their settlement is considered to be rather late, as the first mentions date back to the post Napoleonic era. During the peak time of the community’s development, which falls back to the second half of the 19th century, it numbered not more than 50 Jews. According to the 1844 census, there were 26 Jews, whereas the 1864 – 47 Jews. Most probably the community never had a synagogue but only a house of prayer. After 1850, a Jewish cemetery was established.
The history of the small Jewish community in Lubsko was remembered mainly thanks to its outstanding member – a hat manufacturer, Wilhelm Gattel, who lived in the first half of the 20th century. He established a factory which employed more than 100 workers and in 1925 became one of the main employers in the town (apart from the railway industry). Gattel was also a local activist and member of the town council who provided for the fire department and the library. In 1944, he was imprisoned and murdered by the Gestapo, and later buried in the Jewish cemetery. He was the last member of the Jewish community in Lubsko.
- Alicke K.-D., Guben (Brandenburg), Aus der Geschichte jüdischer Gemeinden im deutschen Sprachraum [online:] http://www.jüdische-gemeinden.de/index.php/gemeinden/e-g/797-guben-brandenburg [dostęp: 16.01.2020].
- Führer durch die jüdische Gemeindeverwaltung und Wohlfahrtspflege in Deutschland: 1932–1933, Berlin 1933, s. 68.