Polska / zachodniopomorskie
|בתי כנסת, בתי תפילה ועוד||בתי קברות||אתרי זכרון ליהודים שנרצחו||יודאיקה במוזיאונים||אחר|
|פרובינציה:||zachodniopomorskie / inne (לפני 1939)|
|מחוז:||goleniowski / nowogardzki (לפני 1939)|
|קהילה:||Maszewo / Massow (לפני 1939)|
|שמות אחרים:||niem. Massow|
Maszewo is a town situated in West Pomerania Province, Goleniów County. It lies in the Nowograd Plain. Maszewo municipality has a typical rural character and its main asset lies in its ecotourism. The diversified ecological landscape is a major attraction, especially since the town is situated close to the Goleniów forest and lakes rich in aquatic life. Maszewo as a town is listed in the Register of Historic Monuments.
Małgorzata Grzenda /
The first Jewish settlers had already arrived in Maszewo by the 17th century. In 1705, there were six Jews in the town – Eleasarz Jacob’s widow, Zander Leyser, Lewin Boas, Fischel Lewin, Jonas Salomon and, a teacher, Isaac Jacob. A year later, during an election for Jewish elders in Stargard Szczeciński (Stargard), the Jews from Maszewo were represented by Lewin Boas, whose signature can be found on the minutes of the meeting. However, since none of the Maszewo Jews had been granted privileges, they were soon all forced to leave the town by virtue of the prevailing laws and they were never heard of thereafter.
It was not until 1712 that a fee of six thalers was set for Jews who wished to settle in Maszewo. Arndt Jochim (Aron ben Chajim) was the first to receive this privilege of settlement on 1st June 1705. However, it is not known when he actually arrived in the town, as his name is not listed among those people who were living in Maszewo in 1705.
Between the years 1718 and 1728, another privilege was granted to Simon Salomon. However, according to a report from that period, at that time, he was detained in prison in Szczecin (Stettin). The reason for his conviction is unknown, but most probably he had already lost his privilege prior to 1731. In the meantime, Arndt Jochim died and his widow and son, Wulf Arndt, were still living in Maszewo in 1728. In that same year, there four other Jews lived in the town (Macus Wulff, Frudinsche’s widow, Joseph Jochen’s widow, and Salomon’s widow) who, altogether, paid 58 thalers and 6 groschen for protection. As revealed by a Węgorzewo (Wangerin) town council report, in 1736, Wulff Samuel’s daughter, who lived in Węgorzewo, married Hirsch Levin, a resident of Maszewo. Two years later, there were only two Jewish families living in Maszewo and, by 1764, their number had increased to six. According to data from the following year, fourteen men were living in the town (Jeremias David, Joachim Jeremias, Hirsch Levin, Samuel Hirsch, Sigmund Hirsch, Seelig Hirsch, David Hirsch, Michael Levin, Joseph Arnd, Arnd Joseph, Jacob Arnd, Salomon Simon, Hirsch Arnd, and Arnd Hirsch). It should be noted that, although in documents from different years, the names Arendt and Arnd are spelled diff
The first mention of the town of Maszewo appeared in 1232 in the document signed by the parish priest Bertram from Maszewo, among others, and the oldest traces of the settlement in this area probably come from the 10th century. A fortified town was standing there at that time, and an open settlement developed in its neighborhood. This open settlement was the first stages of the town’s development. The existence of the fortified town is confirmed by the document from 1334 concerning the sale of a section of land situated near the embankment of the old town. The fortified town with its inhabitants belonged to Pomeranian Duchy and until the middle of the 13th century it was under the rule of the Gryfit family. It is possible that in that period, in 1248, Maszewo was handed over to Kamieńskie diocese when the neighboring Land Stargard was placed by the dukes under the dominion of the Pomeranian bishops. In 1253 a new name appeared in the sources, the name of Duke Konrad von Massow who adopted the name of the town as its own. He is most likely to have been the founder of the medieval town although the beginnings of its foundation are not clear. The family von Massow had been linked to the history of Maszewo until 1334 when Konrad von Massow out of unknown reasons sold a part of the old settlement to the Kamień bishops and since that time the name of this family ceased to appear in connection with the history of the town. The document granting the Charter to Maszewo under the law of Magdeburg was issued by the Bishop Herman von Gleichen in 1278. As part of the municipal charter the inhabitants of Maszewo received 100 lans of land and 30 lans of meadows. Four years later Duke Bogusław IV confirming this privilege relieved the townsmen from paying the bridge and the road tariff in the area of Szczecin Duchy. Shortly afterwards, in 1286, the bishop Herman granted municipal rights to Maszewo again but this time under the Lubusz law. This event involved granting judicial privileges to the town as well as the right to possess mills and windmills and to catch fish in the Warszowskie Lake and to collect tolls overland. The town was administered on behalf of the bishop by the council that from 1290 consisted of townsmen representatives. Town planning, which started at the end of the 13th century lasted until the first years of the 14th century and in the second ha