Print | A A A | Report a bug | 43 213 680 chars | 84164 photos | 731 video | 116 audio | 1920 towns





Celebrating the 140th anniversary of the Dzierżoniów synagogue

On 21 May 2015, a ceremony commemorating the 140th anniversary of the local synagogue located at 28 Krasickiego Street was held in Dzierżoniów.


The ceremony was attended by 150 people: members of the Jewish community, local residents, representatives of Polish and foreign organisations, representatives of self-government authorities and invited guests.

During the ceremony, a memorial stone was placed at the main entrance to the synagogue. Earlier, in 1963, the stone was placed in the centre of Dzierżoniów to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising. In the aftermath of the anti-Semitic events of 1968, it was removed and transferred onto the property of the former sports school in Pieszyce.   

The ceremony was accompanied by a concert of the children choir of the Jewish school Etz Chaim from Wrocław and students of the 1st Upper High School from Dzierżoniów.


In 1875, when the synagogue was made over to the local Jewish community, a symbolic key to the building had been handed out to the City Mayor. The tradition has been upheld this time and a symbolic key was presented by the founders of the Beitenu Hai – 2004 Foundation, Rafael and Dorin Blau, to the current Mayor of Dzierżoniów, Dariusz Kucharski.

The crowning moment of the celebrations was a ceremony of bringing the Torah scrolls in the synagogue. It is a gift of the late Ludwik Hoffman, a former long-time chairman of the Wałbrzych Branch of the Social and Cultural Association of Jews in Poland. It was handed out on his behalf by his daughter, Sabina Hrapek.