Print | A A A | Report a bug | 45 227 591 chars | 84210 photos | 780 video | 116 audio | 1921 towns

 

 
 

News

2015-05-12

The “Grodzka Gate” enters another quarter of a century

On the 25th anniversary of its activities, the “Grodzka Gate – NN Theatre” Centre launches another ambitious project. It will be the creation of an archive about the Jewish residents of Lublin.

It all began on 11 May 1990, when a group of enthusiasts staged a theatrical performance at the destroyed Grodzka Gate once marking a border between the Lublin Old Town and the Jewish quarter.  Then, they created the “Grodzka Gate – NN Theatre” Centre which devotes much of its activities to documenting and popularizing the history of the Jews of Lublin.

It is hard to mention in brief all projects the “Grodzka Gate – NN Theatre” Centre has implemented so far.  They include hundreds of film screenings, performances, discussions, festivals, social actions such as the “Letters to Henio”.  There is an exhibition displayed at the Centre recalling the Jewish Lublin and a huge archive of oral history.  The Centre issues numerous publications and a significant part of its content is available on its website.

Ilustracja


On the 25th anniversary of its activities, the “Grodzka Gate – NN Theatre” Centre announced the launch of the project “Lublin.  43 thousands”, dedicated to the old Jewish community.

Tomasz Pietrasiewicz, Director of the Centre says: “The title of the project symbolically refers to the number of Jews residing in Lublin in 1939.  But behind this empty number, there are 43 thousand faces, 43 thousand names and surnames.  These were men, women and children.  The project is aimed to preserve the memory of each of them.  We would like to identify the names of these people and reconstruct their history.  Therefore, each person has been allotted a folder containing all information we have managed to gather on that person.  We have placed 43,000 of such folders at the Grodzka Gate.”

Author: Krzysztof Bielawski
Source: information resources provided by the “Grodzka Gate – NN Theatre” Centre

Archive