Print | A A A | Report a bug | 46 009 570 chars | 84246 photos | 783 video | 117 audio | 1925 towns

 

 
 

News

2013-08-27

A hotel in the former Lublin Yeshiva will open this Autumn

A hotel, which has been established in the former pre-war yeshiva in Lublin, will be inaugurated in October. A signboard has already been affixed in the building and a recruitment process has been launched.

Ilustracja

Chachmei Lublin Yeshiva was built from 1924 to 1930 thanks to money donated by Jews from all around the world. The yeshiva was initiated by Rabbi Meir Szapiro, who was its first President from the official opening in 1930 to his premature death at the age of forty-six in 1933. This Torah study centre gained worldwide recognition. It boasted an outstandingly rich library collection and a synagogue. During the German occupation, the interior was plundered, and most of the students and lecturers were killed. After the end of the war, the yeshiva housed the Medical Academy for decades. In the Fall of 2003, the building was handed over to the Jewish community and is now owned by the Warsaw Jewish community. The synagogue was restored, including the former auditorium, which served as a synagogue in the past, and a mikveh which is located in the basement.

From October onwards, a four-star hotel with forty –four rooms, including four apartments, will operate in the building. The opening of the hotel marks the end of the restoration works. Final touches are still being made. A restaurant, which will serve Polish and Jewish food, is currently being arranged. Representatives of the Warsaw Jewish community stress that all clients, not only Jews visiting the Majdanek State Museum, are more than welcome.

Archive