Print | A A A | Report a bug | 45 243 748 chars | 84235 photos | 781 video | 116 audio | 1921 towns

 

 
 

News

2013-08-26

Torah comes back to the synagogue in Dąbrowa Tarnowska

After over seventy years, a handwritten Torah was returned to the synagogue in Dąbrowa Tarnowska. The Pentateuch was handed over by Redemptorists who stored it in the monastery in Tuchów during WWII.  The Torah was handed to the Mayor of Dąbrowa Tarnowska in 2010. After necessary restoration works, the manuscript has been displayed in the prayer room at the Centre of Meetings of Cultures (OSK).

Ilustracja

The Torah was handwritten on a parchment scroll, which is 54 cm wide, and is a remnant of Jewish citizens of the town. In all probability, the book was taken to the Redemptorist monastery in 1941/1942 by an unknown person who was asked to keep it safe until the synagogue served as a prayer house again.

After the end of the war, the synagogue was running into ruin and so the Redemptorists kept the promise and did not return the Torah.

In the last years, Dąbrowa Tarnowska municipal authorities took care of the synagogue, which was finally restored. Although the synagogue does not serve as a place for prayers, it houses the Centre of Meetings of Cultures. The monastery did not want to wait longer and returned the Book in the hope that prayers will resound in the synagogue in the future.  

 

Archive