Polska / łódzkie
|Synagogues, prayer houses and others||Cemeteries||Sites of martyrdom||Judaica in museums||Andere|
|Province:||łódzkie / warszawskie (before 1939)|
|County:||kutnowski / kutnowski (before 1939)|
|Community:||Żychlin / Żychlin (before 1939)|
The town of Żychlin lies in the Kutnowski County in the Łódź province. It has a population of 10 thousand citizens (1998). It lies on the Kutnowska plain by the banks of the river Słudwia.
The first Jewish settlers came here at the beginning of the 18th century. In 1766 a Jewish community was formed and in 1780 a wooden synagogue was built. In 1827 there were 782 Jews living in Żychlin which constituted 61% of the general population. In 1857 the numbers grew to respectively 1062 Jews and 66%. In 1880 a stone synagogue was built. In the second half of the 19th century the Hasidic movement developed in Żychlin centered around a tzadik from Góra Kalwaria. The town had 2 synagogues and a Jewish school. In 1897 there were 2268 Jews living in Żychlin, which constituted 47% of the town’s population.
During the interwar period, in 1921, there were 2701 Jews in Żychlin (40% of the towns population).
During World War II German forces invaded Żychlin. In April 1940 the Germans arrested all the Jewish intelligence and deported them to extermination camps. In July 1940 the Germans created a ghetto in Żychlin where over 4 thousand people were detained. Around 800 people died of starvation or sickness. In February 1940 German police killed 100 people on the streets of the ghetto. In March 1942 the ghetto was liquidated and over 3 thousands Jews were taken to Krośniewice and then to the extermination camp in Chełmno nad Nerem.
First mentions of the town date back to 1332. Before 1397 Żychlin was granted town rights.
In 1793 during the Second Partition of Poland the town fell under the rule of Prussia. As of 1807 Żychlin belonged to the Duchy of Warsaw and since 1815 to Congress Poland.
In 1870 the Tsar revoked Żychlin’s town rights.
In 1924 Żychlin regained its town rights.
During Word War II German forces invaded Żychlin.
With your financial contribution towards the development of a town description, a photo documentation or other activities, you will be awarded a donation certificate.