Polska / małopolskie
|Synagogues, prayer houses and others||Cemeteries||Sites of martyrdom||Judaica in museums||Andere|
|Province:||małopolskie / krakowskie (before 1939)|
|County:||tarnowski / brzeski (before 1939)|
|Community:||Zakliczyn / Zakliczyn (before 1939)|
|Other names:||Zakliczyn [j. niemiecki]|
As it is stated in The Encyclopedia of Jewish Life Before and During the Holocaust, already in the 17th century there were followers of Judaism living in Zakliczyn. This was, however, a relatively small community, no more than three hundred people, which made up 20-25% of the hamlet's populace.
In June 1942, a ghetto was established in Zakliczyn. Around 1500 people from Zakliczyn and the neighboring villages were held in it. In September and November 1942, the Nazis transported Jews from Zakliczyn to the extermination camp for Jews in Bełżec. A group of 70 people was left in the city, only to be murdered a few months later, in April 1943.
Wydawnictwo Naukowe PWN /
Zakliczyn began as a market settlement named Opatkowice and owned by the Benedictines of Tyniec. In 1557 a man named Spytek Jordan established a town in the area of the settlement and named it Zakliczyn. With its many fairs and markets, Zakliczyn was a center of trade and crafts. In the second half of the 16th century, 64 craftsmen lived in Zakliczyn and practiced crafts such as shoemaking, baking, and cloth production. In the 16th century, Zakliczyn became a center of activity for the protestant Polish Brethren, an Arian group who operated a printing house in the town. In 1662 the owner of the town, Z. Tarło, funded the construction of a Franciscan monastery in order to restrain the influence of the Polish Brethren. In the years 1772-1918 Zakliczyn was a part of the Austrian partition of Poland, and was primarily an agricultural and craft settlement. Jewish settlement in the town began in the mid-19th century. Zakliczyn was granted town rights in the years 1880-1934. Trade in cattle flourished in the town during the interwar period. During German occupation in 1942, a ghetto was established in the town, home to about 1,500 prisoners. The majority of the ghetto’s prisoners were transported to the extermination camp in Bełżec. Since 2006 Zakliczyn has been classified as a town and is the administrative center of its county (gmina).
The entry was prepared on the basis of source materials of PWN (Polish Scientific Publishers).