Polska / dolnośląskie
|Synagogues, prayer houses and others||Cemeteries||Sites of martyrdom||Judaica in museums||Andere|
|Province:||dolnośląskie / inne (before 1939)|
|County:||wołowski / wołowski (before 1939)|
|Community:||Wińsko / Wińsko (before 1939)|
|Other names:||Winzig [j. niemiecki]|
Wińsko – wieś gminna położona na południowym zachodzie Polski, w województwie dolnośląskim, powiat wołowski. Odległa 16 km na północ od Wołowa, 62 km na północny zachód od Wrocławia, 371 km na południowy zachód od Warszawy.
Miłosz Gudra /
Both the historical name Vin and the present name Wińsko are derived from the word “vineyard” or “vine” (in Polish respectively “winnica” and “winorośl”). The town’s name is connected with historical vine-growing on local hills. The first confirmed historical mention of the town is in a document issued in 1772 in which the local parish priest Nicolaus was mentioned.
In 1285 Duke Przemko Ścinawski introduced German law to Wińsko. Around 1300 special duke’s coins were minted in the town. The town’s mayor and members of town council were first mentioned in sources dating back to 1377. In 1512 King Władysław Jagiellończyk gave the town its own crest. Craft flourished in Wińsko in the mid-16th century as evidenced by the formation of guilds that were granted numerous privileges by the town council and dukes. The Town Hall was constructed in around 1613. However, during the Thirty Years’ War the town was ravaged. After the death of Jerzy IV Wilhelm, the duke of Brześć, Legnica, and Wołów, the town came under the emperor’s authority. In 1742 Wińsko was formally incorporated into Prussia.
The 19th century proved to be a very prosperous moment in the town’s history. In 1830 there were 232 houses in Wińsko and the following facilities operated in the town: a brewery, a malt house, a dye-work, two oil mills, seven windmills, a horse mill, a mill for grinding bark, and a tobacco drying house. The town also housed a brickyard in the Jakubikowice village that operated until World War I. In the 1820s the remains of medieval fortifications in the town were cleaned. The majority of Wińsko’s streets as well as the market square were cobbled in the first half of the 19th century. In the years 1853-6 new roads were