Polska / śląskie
|Synagogues, prayer houses and others||Cemeteries||Sites of martyrdom||Judaica in museums||Andere|
|Province:||śląskie / inne (before 1939)|
|County:||gliwicki / Landkreis Tost-Gleiwitz (before 1939)|
|Community:||Sulęcin / Langendorf (before 1939)|
|Other names:||Langendorf [j. niemiecki]|
The village Wielowieś is situated in the western part of the Silesian Province in the land province of Gliwice. It lies in the basin of the Mała Panew.
Adam Marczewski /
The beginning of Jewish settlement in Wielowieś is connected with the emperor's edict issued in 1627. The edict It modified the politics relating to Jewish issues and allowed them to settle on Silesia. Emperor Ferdinand decided to issue this edict with the aim to improve the financial situation in the country, wasted by The Thirty Years' War (1618-1648). The emperor's edict allowed Jews to resettle on Silesia after paying special charge in amount of 40 thousands guilders. The emperor's edict allowed under some conditions to trade and engage in craftsmanship for a group of privileged Jews (privilegire Juden). They were also called manorial Jews (Hofjuden). The emperor permitted them to lease taxes and duties levy. They could also buy houses to own .
Thanks to the change in attitude, first Jews could settle in Wielowieś in the second half of the 17th century. Jewish community was established by Jonatan Bloch and was the mother community for other communities created in Pyskowice and Toszek . In 1687, 28 Jews lived in Wielowieś . In the second half of the 17th century, a wooden prayer house was built, thanks to Jonatan Bloch's initiative.
In May 1713, emperor Carl IV issued the Tolerant Edict (Toleranzpatent), which allowed Jewish community to settle in Silesia after paying a special tolerant tax. The emperor’s edict separated the Jewish community for two groups: (1)Jews owning a property, those who didn’t own a property (they paid lower taxes) and (2) tolerated Jews. Jews from Głogów and Biała Prudnicka were exempt from paying the tolerant tax. .
In 1720, 50 Jews lived in Wielowieś, which was 7% of the total number of inhabitants .
In October 1726 The Silesian Superior Office enacted a patent ''Wegen der Juden'' prohibiting Jews settling in communities and houses where they had not lived before. In this way, new Jews (aliens) were prohibited to settle in Silesia. The patent also introduced the so-called “rule of inkolat” -only one son in every Jewish family received the consent to get married and get the right to accommodate (inkolae). Other sons were considered to be aliens and after becoming adult they had to leave the country .
Introducing the edict into force caused the increase in Jewish settlement in Silesia. The characteristic featur
The village Wielowieś existed as early as in 1240. In 1327, prince Władysław Bytomski (1277-1352) paid homage to the king of Bohemia and from this moment Wielowies was under Bohemian reign just like Silesia which was subordianted to Bohemia. In 1526, the king of Hungary and Bohemia Ludwik II Jagiellończyk (1506-1526) died leaving no children behind and he was succeeded by an Austrian prince Ferdynand Habsburg. As a result of this succession, Wielowieś was under the reign of the Habsburg family. In the years 1575-1629 there were significant influences of Lutheran reformation. In 1720, 718 inhabitants lived in Wielowies.From 1742 it lied in the Prussian state and was known under the German name; Langendorf. In 1829 the population of the village was estimated at 1,029 residents.
In the interwar period, a referendum from 1921 notwithstanding, Wielowieś remained in Germany. In 1929, 1,558 inhabitants lived in the region.
During the Second World War, in January 1945, Wielowieś was taken over by the Soviet Army.
With your financial contribution towards the development of a town description, a photo documentation or other activities, you will be awarded a donation certificate.