Polska / mazowieckie
|Synagogues, prayer houses and others||Cemeteries||Sites of martyrdom||Judaica in museums||Andere|
|Province:||mazowieckie / warszawskie (before 1939)|
|County:||miński / miński (before 1939)|
|Community:||Sulejówek / Sulejówek (before 1939)|
|Other names:||Сулеювек [j. rosyjski]|
It has 18.656 inhabitants (2007).
Wydawnictwo Naukowe PWN /
The first known mention of Sulejówek comes from a historical document from the 16th century that mentions a gentry village of Sulewo. Sulejówek became a part of the Prussian Partition of Poland in 1795, the Duchy of Warsaw in 1807, and the Russian Partition (Kingdom of Poland) in 1815. In the second half of the 19th century it developed into a holiday village. In 1866 a railway line was established between Sulejówek and nearby Warsaw. During German occupation during World War II, it had a ghetto of about 500 people who were then transported to the Warsaw ghetto. From 1958 it has been an urban district (near to Warsaw) and has held town privileges since 1962. It is currently a residential and commuter town located on the Warsaw-Terespol-Moscow railway line. It is home to small production and handicrafts (food, metal, plastic, electronic products, clothing, Christmas tree decorations, toys, haberdashery), numerous services (printing, automotive, engineering and installation, construction, transport) and trade companies. Organizations and attractions include the Society of Friends of Sulejówek, Association of Support for Sulejówek Development, Economic Forum Sulejówek Association, Educational Centre of the Main Teacher Training Centre, Municipal Sports Club "Wiktoria" (stadium),The Józef Piłsudski Museum, and the "Milusin" Manor in a building erected (1923, K. Skórewicz) from contributions of the Soldier's Committee – a gift for Piłsudski who lived there from 1923 to 1926. The town is home to many families, and is quite green, with a significant part of its surface (approx. 1/3) occupied by forests and arable lands (gradually transforming into residential and service areas) and several small ponds. It has a center with two railway stations and a historic district with sites related to the foundation of the Second Polish Republic.
This entry has been prepared based on PWN source materials.