Polska / lubuskie
|Synagogues, prayer houses and others||Cemeteries||Sites of martyrdom||Judaica in museums||Andere|
|Province:||lubuskie / inne (before 1939)|
|County:||sulęciński / Oststernberg (before 1939)|
|Community:||Sulęcin / Zielenzig (before 1939)|
|Other names:||Zielenzig [j.niemiecki]|
The city of Sulęcin is the seat of the Sulęcin Administrative District in Lubuskie Province. Sulęcin is situated on the Postomia river in Łagowskie Lakeside.
First Jews started settling in Sulęcin in the beginning of the XIXth century. In the interwar period, in 1921, there were 82 Jews living in the city.
In XIIth century there used to be a trading settlement that lied on a trading route from Frankfurt on Oder to Poznań. In 1244 Sulęcin was awarded city rights. At that time the city belonged to the Knights Templar. In 1258 it was set within the borders of the Brandenburg. In 1269 a castle was constructed. After the secularization of the order in XIVth century, Sulęcin became the property of the Knights Hospitaller. In XIXth century a new germanised name of the city was officially accepted – Zielenzig.
During the Second World War 50% of the city’s buildings were destroyed. After 1945 the city was renamed Sulęcin.