Polska / małopolskie
|Synagogues, prayer houses and others||Cemeteries||Sites of martyrdom||Judaica in museums||Andere|
|Province:||małopolskie / krakowskie (before 1939)|
|County:||nowosądecki / nowosądecki (before 1939)|
|Community:||Stary Sącz / Stary Sącz (before 1939)|
|Other names:||Altsandez [j. niemiecki]; Alt-Sanz [j. jidysz]|
Miasto Stary Sącz leży w powiecie nowosądeckim w województwie małopolskim. Liczy 8,8 tys. mieszkańców (1998 r.). Jest położone nad rzeką Poprad w Kotlinie Sądeckiej.
The first Jews began to settle in Stary Sącz in the middle of the 19th century. Already in 1860 an independent Jewish community was established here. A synagogue was erected in 1876. 425 Jews lived in the town in 1890. In 1902 the old synagogue was pulled down and a temple was built on its site. In 1910 666 Jews lived in Stary Sącz and they constituted 13% of the town’s total population.
In the interwar period, in 1921, 553 Jews lived in Stary Sącz – they constituted 12% of the town’s total population.
Since September 1939 Stary Sącz was occupied by the German troops. In the spring of 1942 the Nazis established a ghetto in which they gathered over one thousand Jews. In August 1942 the ghetto was liquidated. 95 Jews were executed in the nearby Piaski forest, while those who survived were deported to the Bełżec death camp.