Polska / podkarpackie
|Synagogues, prayer houses and others||Cemeteries||Sites of martyrdom||Judaica in museums||Andere|
|Province:||podkarpackie / lwowskie (before 1939)|
|County:||przeworski / (before 1939)|
|Community:||Sieniawa / (before 1939)|
The city of Sieniawa is located in the Province of Podkarpacie, in the Przeworski County. It is the headquarters of Sieniawa Municipality. It is located in the Valley of the Lower San in the southern part of the Sandomierski Gorge.
Jews began to settle in Sieniawa a few years after its founding. By the end of the 17th century they had already built a wooden synagogue with the support of Adam Mikołaj Sieniawski’s foundation. It was first mentioned in records in 1706. In 1702 there were also two schools and a hospital, and by the end of the 17th century there was also a bathhouse. At that time 46 Jewish families lived in Sieniawa. There is also mention of a rabbi. Commodities, such as the 169 rolls of fabric shipped by Wulwo Szajnowicz in 1732, were transported up the San and Wisła Rivers to Gdańsk. In 1765 there were 1054 Jews living in 288 homes, while in the whole county the number was 1,115. They owned 87% of the houses around the town market square. In 1777 they paid 1,115 złotys a year in “tolerance taxes”, ranking sixth among Jewish municipalities on the territory of the province of Podkarpacie. Beginning in 1792 there was also a jüdisch-deutsche Schule (Jewish-German school).
In 1835 there were 920 Jews living within the Sieniawa Roman Catholic parish. In the first half of the 19th century a strong Chasidic center was founded there. It was greatly strengthened by the presence of Ezechiel Szraga Halberstam (1815–19 XII 1898) , the eldest son of Tsaddik Chaim of Nowy Sącz, who, beginning in 1856, had been the Tsaddik in Sieniawa, an expert on the laws of the canon and author of many texts of Kabbalistic writing, published in 1906 in the tract Diwrej Jeheskel. His sons also became Tsaddiks: Arie Lejbusz in Tarnów, Aszer Meir in Bochnia, Szymcha Ischar in Cieszanowo and Mojżesz in Sieniawa. Mojżesz had previously been the Tsaddik in Stropkowo in Slovakia, and from 1903 in Nowy Sącz. Mojżesz’s son, Arie Lejbusz, also became a rabbi and Tsaddik in Sieniawa. Aszra’a son, Jekutiel Jeheskiel, was the Tsaddik in Antwerp. Ezechiel Szraga’s daughter Bajla married Menachem Mendel, a rabbi from Frysztak.
In 1870 the Jewish municipality numbered 2,124 residents and had two synagogues, a cemetery, and a religious school with 20 students. The position of head rabbi was held by Cwi Hirsz Glanc. In 1900 the Jewish population rose to 3,263 residents, of which 2,150 lived in Sieniawa before the First World War, making up 61.4% of the total population of the city. Among other well-known figures from Sieniawa, Maurycy Kahane, a student-
With your financial contribution towards the development of a town description, a photo documentation or other activities, you will be awarded a donation certificate.