Polska / śląskie
|Synagogues, prayer houses and others||Cemeteries||Sites of martyrdom||Judaica in museums||Andere|
|Province:||śląskie / śląskie autonomiczne (before 1939)|
|County:||miasto na prawach powiatu / katowicki (before 1939)|
|Community:||Siemianowice Śląskie / Siemianowice Śląskie (before 1939)|
Śymjanowicy [j. śląski]
Siemianowitz [j. niemiecki]
Laurahütte [j. niemiecki]
Семяновице-Слёнске [j. rosyjski]
Siemianowice Śląskie is a city with county rights, situated in the central part of Śląskie Province. It lies near the Brynica River, on the Chorzowsko-Bytomski Hummock, on the Katowicka Upland.
In 1870, 367 Jews lived in Siemianowice, which accounted for 4% of the total population. In 1913 there were approximately 200 of them.
During the 2nd World War, in September 1939, Siemianowice Śląskie was occupied by the German army. At the end of 1940, all the local Jews (about 140 people) were displaced to the ghetto in Jaworzno.
Historical documents of 1273 mention a village of Sancovice, however it is uncertain whether they really refer to Siemianowice. What is certain is the records which can be traced back to 1451. At that time a village of Seymanoviczi existed. In 1718, the neighbouring areas with villages were purchased by countess Maria Józefa von Donnesmarck. In 1760-78, the Donnesmarck family built a palace with a park in Siemianowice. A crucial moment in the history of Siemianowice was activating the first hard coal mine "Waldgrube" ("Forrest Mine") in 1786. In 1833 as many as four coal mines, four zinc mines, ironworks, glassworks and a few metal plants functioned in the vicinity of the village. New residential districts started to appear around the new factories, in which mostly German people settled down. In 1852, construction of a narrow-gouge railway was commenced.
In the interwar period, a plebiscite was conducted in Siemianowice, in which the Germans gained 56.2% of support. This resulted in an outburst of the 3rd Silesian Uprising, in which a lot of the village inhabitants took part. In 1922, Siemianowice was annexed to Poland. In 1932, the surrounding villages were combined into one and the town of Siemianowice Śląskie was created.
During the 2nd World War, in September 1939, Siemianowice Śląskie was occupied by the German army. In 1944, the Germans created a subcamp of Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camp in Laura Steelworks. In January 1945, the Soviet army took over the town.
With your financial contribution towards the development of a town description, a photo documentation or other activities, you will be awarded a donation certificate.