Print | A A A | Report a bug | 43 607 000 chars | 84144 photos | 738 video | 116 audio | 1920 towns

Sędziszów Małopolski

Polska / podkarpackie

Synagogues, prayer houses and others Cemeteries Sites of martyrdom Judaica in museums Andere

Summary

Province:podkarpackie / krakowskie (before 1939)
County:ropczycko-sędziszowski / ropczycki (before 1939)
Community:Sędziszów Małopolski / Sędziszów (before 1939)
Other names:Sędziszów Małopolski [j. niemiecki]
 
GPS:
50.0706° N / 21.7027° E
50°04'14" N / 21°42'09" E

Location

Andrzej Potocki

Sędziszów Małopolski is located in the Podkarpackie Province, Ropczycko-Sędziszowski County, Sędziszów Małopolski Municipality.

More

History

Andrzej Potocki

Passport photo of David Endlich and Esther Leiman Endlich | Dr Steven Turner

Twenty one Jewish families lived in Sędziszow in 1673, whereas three years later there were already 29 of them. The first historical record of the synagogue dates back to 1760. 584 Jews lived on the kehilla’s territory, while 378 of them lived in the very town. In 1792 the jüdisch-deutsche Schule was opened there.

In 1835 there were 635 Jewish inhabitants within the boundary of the roman-catholic parish. In 1880 the Jewish kehilla numbered over 1,000 people; it possessed two synagogues, a cemetery and a religious school. In 1892 the Instalment Association was established, with Meier Loew as its president. At the end of the 19th century, the number of Jewish inhabitants in Sędziszow started to decrease. In 1900 only 1,641 Jews lived in the whole municipality. Between 1879 and 1900 Abraham Horowitz was rabbi, succeeded by Tobiasz Horowitz. During the First World War almost all Jews escaped from Sedziszow, after they had found out about the approaching Cossacks divisions, which finally entered the town on the 21st of September 1914. Most probably, out of 1,300 Jews only ten remained in town. In 1921 only 861 Jews lived there. The brothers Samuel and Daniel Bugajer and Dawid Wełna came from Sędziszów, they volunteered into the Polish Army and participated in the Polish-Bolshevik War.

During the Second World War, already on the 15th of September 1939, the first Jew was shot dead in town. In October 25 Jews were murdered. In 1941 the Nazis organized a ghetto for the local Jews, where about 1,400 people were closed. About 400 Jews from Wielopole Skrzyńskie and Ropczyce were moved to that ghetto as well. The ghetto was liquidated on the 24th of May 1942. 400 Jews from Ropczyce, Kolbuszowa and Mielec were killed then, some of them in the market square, others in the Jewish Cemetery. About 1,500 Jews were taken to the ghetto in Dębica, from where they were transported to the extermination camps in Pustków and Bełżec. The remaining Jews were displaced to the ghetto in Rzeszów. When the ghetto was liquidated, 19 Jews that had been hiding were caught and killed. About 30 Jews, who had been hidden by Poles, survived.
 

More

Local history

Andrzej Potocki

The first historical record of Sędziszów dates back to 1325. It was granted town privileges in 1483.
 

More

Gallery

More

Video

Genealogical Indexes

JewishGen
Resources for Jewish Family History

People who like this city: