Polska / mazowieckie
|Synagogues, prayer houses and others||Cemeteries||Sites of martyrdom||Judaica in museums||Andere|
|Province:||mazowieckie / warszawskie (before 1939)|
|County:||mławski / mławski (before 1939)|
|Community:||Radzanów / Radzanów (before 1939)|
|Other names:||ראדזנוב [j. jidysz]|
The village of Radzanów is situated in Mława County, Masovian Voivodeship. It has 930 inhabitants.
Jews started to settle in Radzanów about 1710, soon after being expelled from Szreńsk. In 1763, a wooden synagogue was built. Their main source of income was small trade.
In the years 1823-1862, Jews from other towns were not allowed to settle down in Radzanów, because the town was situated close to the country border. In 1856, 612 Jews lived there, which made up 57% of the total population. Yet the community did not develop and at the turn of the 19th century, a lot of Jews emigrated. According to the 1897 census, the town was inhabited by 532 Jews.
In 1921, the number of Jews decreased to 303, which constituted 23% of the total population. Due to lasting stagnation and lack of prospects, emigration to Palestine supported by the Zionist movements became a more and more popular option.
At the beginning of September 1939, Radzanów was seized by German forces. The Jews were subjected to forced labour, which in many cased ruined their health or even took their lives. On 28 November 1941, there were only 200 Jews in the town, who were transported by the Germans to the ghetto in Mława. The former residents of Radzanów were given only one building and in each room were herded approximately 25-30 people. Their later fate is rather unknown, but it should be noticed that after the Holocaust no information can be found about 300 Jews of Radzanów; most probably they all perished.
Radzanow, [in:] The Encyclopedia of Jewish Life Before and During the Holocaust, S. Spector, G. Wigoder (eds.), vol. 2, New York (2001), p. 1051.