Print | A A A | Report a bug | 44 933 349 chars | 84126 photos | 738 video | 116 audio | 1920 towns

Radomyśl Wielki

Polska / podkarpackie

Synagogues, prayer houses and others Cemeteries Sites of martyrdom Judaica in museums Andere

Summary

Province:podkarpackie / lwowskie (before 1939)
County:mielecki / mielecki (before 1939)
Community:Radomyśl Wielki / (before 1939)
Other names:Radomyśl Wielki [j. niemiecki]
 
GPS:
50.1959° N / 21.2771° E
50°11'45" N / 21°16'37" E

Location

Andrzej Potocki

Radomyśl Wielki is located in the Podkarpackie Province, in the county of Mielec, and it is the seat of the Radomyśl Municipality.

More

History

Anna Kępińska /

The first record of a Jewish population dates back to 1602. The documents of an episcopal inspection in the parish church contain information about Jews practicing usury. However, poll tax registers from 1662-1676 do not mention any Jewish population in Radomyśl. Furthermore, there is an information from 1665 about Jews living in the nearby parish in Zdziarzec who ran an inn and a malt-house there.

The sources state that 364 Jews lived within the municipality in 1765, 302 of whom lived in Radomyśl Wielki proper. In 1779, in 170 houses lived 85 Jewish and 217 Christian families. In 1788, a German Jewish school (Deutschjudische Schule) was established in Radomyśl on the initiative of the Jewish community supported by partitioning authorities. The school managed to operate despite the fact that only 347 Jews (29%) inhabited the town at that time and similar institutions in Dąbrowa or Żabno were soon closed down.

Dawid Magid Ha-Kohen was the first known tzadik to settle down in Radomyśl in 1765. Although he did not establish his court, his descendants lived in Radomyśl until 1942. In 1809, Abraham Perhmuter was appointed as rabbi. The Jews owned a beth midrash by then.

At the turn of the 18th and 19th centuries, the Jews living in Radomyśl dealt mainly with trade, crafts, usury, leasing mills, distillery, inns and breweries. Well-known in Galicia markets (on Thursdays) and fairs (five times per year: on 29 June, 10 August, 5 September, 6 and 25 December) were held in the town, where people traded in horses, cattle and hogs among others. Trading took place on the Market Square and in Targowa Street. Crafts thrived, yet the Jews were rather unwilling to join guilds. Initially, before the Partition, it resulted from legal regulations. Under partitioning legislation the Jews were allowed to practice all crafts in the same way Christians were; on condition that they joined a guild and paid proper fees. That was why Jews did not join the craftsmen’s guild and launched cheaper competition.

The market square was divided into two parts: Christian (south-western) and Jewish (north-eastern) . Jewish houses, shops and religious institutions (a synagogue, a cheder, a mikvah and a rabbi’s house) were situated nearby. At the end of the 19th century, several estates were purchased by the Gutwirth family. To the most

More

Gallery

Genealogical Indexes

JewishGen
Resources for Jewish Family History

People who like this city: