Polska / małopolskie
|Synagogues, prayer houses and others||Cemeteries||Sites of martyrdom||Judaica in museums||Andere|
|Province:||małopolskie / krakowskie (before 1939)|
|County:||nowotarski / nowotarski (before 1939)|
|Community:||Rabka - Zdrój / Rabka (before 1939)|
|Other names:||Bad Rabka [j. niemiecki]|
Jakub Podczaszy, Jacek Jastrzębski
Rabka-Zdrój is located in the Małopolska Province, in Nowy Targ County. Two important communication routes meet in the town: the one from Cracow to Zakopane and the one from Bielsko-Biała to Nowy Sącz. From the north, Rabka borders on the commune of Lubień, from the east – of Mszana Dolna, from the south – of Nowy Targ and from the east – of Raba Wyżna. Geographically, Rabka is situated at the foot of Gorce at the height of 550 m above sea level, at the estuary of the Poniczanka and Słonka Rivers to the Raba River. The latter is the biggest local watercourse (it is 131.9 kilometers long) and is a right-bank tributary of Vistula.
Jakub Podczaszy, Jacek Jastrzębski /
Unfortunately, there is no data concerning the appearance of the first Jews in Rabka. Sources talk only about the fact that as far as faith is concerned, Rabka was homogenous for a very long time – since the beginnings of the parish, i.e. the second half of the 16th century, up until the 19th century. This was most probably caused by the location of the parish – it was situated far from big towns and more busy trade routes. The Jewish minority was still not present in Rabka in the years when Teresa Pankracja from the Sułkowscy princes and countess from Wielkopolska, held her patronage over the town. Some researchers claim that Jews came to Rabka in the second half of the 19th century.
According to parish books, 1826 was the year of the first conversion of Jews from Judaism. The daughter of Joachim Goldberg, Anna Magdalena Goldberger, who was at the age of 20, was christened. The sacrament was administered by the parish priest of Raba Wyżna, Jan Kalisiewicz. In 1827, there were six Jews living in Rabka; they probably belonged to one family. That was the members of this family who underwent the afore-mentioned conversion; this put them in a difficult position in terms of their relations with the local Jews.
The next document testifying to the presence of Jews is the christening of the twenty-year-old Laja Führer, who was born in Chochołów. She was the daughter of Jakub Führer, a poor Jewish man, and of Beisle. We also have some information about further christenings of Jewish people.
On August 24th, 1835, Piesel, daughter of Löebel Riegelhaupt, was christened.
Haja, daughter of Mojżesz Bloch (1835)
The older brother of Pesiel Riegelhaupt, Herman
Also, a merchant, Leopold Riegelhaupt, married to Anna, daughter of Moses (Mosis) Bloch and their seven children
The next trace of Jewish activity is a record concerning an old inn called Oleszyca, which was built by the afore-mentioned Moses Bloch, and a complex of farm buildings, including dyeworks, magiel [a place where linen is pressed – translator’s note] and a dying room for linen, built in 1886. The inn was demolished in 1848. The construction of the next one was suspended on the initiative of Julian Zubrzycki, the owner of an estate in R