Polska / małopolskie
|Synagogues, prayer houses and others||Cemeteries||Sites of martyrdom||Judaica in museums||Andere|
|Province:||małopolskie / krakowskie (before 1939)|
|County:||nowotarski / nowotarski (before 1939)|
|Community:||Nowy Targ / Nowy Targ (before 1939)|
|Other names:||Królewskie Wolne Miasto Nowy Targ|
Nový Targ [j.słowacki]
Neumarkt am Dohnst [j.niemiecki]
יונ-מארק Neimarkt [j.jidysz]
Nowy Targ – miasto położone w południowej Polsce, w województwie małopolskim, siedziba powiatu nowotarskiego. Odległe 85 km na południe od Krakowa, 433 km na południe od Warszawy.
Nowy Targ was founded by a royal charter and, consequently, was probably covered by the royal prerogative of De non tolerandis Judaeis, as since its establishment till the end of the sixteenth century there is no mention of Jewish inhabitants in any historical sources pertaining to the town and its vicinity .. A similar prohibition was in force in other villages in the Podhale region. The first Jewish settlers arrived in Nowy Targ probably at the invitation Adam Kazanowski, who held the starost’s office in years 1638 -1648..
The first mention of a Jewish inhabitant in Nowy Targ dates back to 1646 and possibly pertains to one of the tenant of the starost’s land. Moreover, an unnamed Jewish family is supposed to have leased a tavern located in the town hall .in the seventeenth century. In the middle of the eighteenth century several Jewish families earned their living trading vodka and leasing a local brewery.
However, the Jewish population constituted an insignificant percentage of the total number of the town’s inhabitants. In 1711 eleven people admitted to being of the Jewish faith. The majority were members of the Roman Catholic Church.
In the times of the partitions the law prohibiting Jews from settling in Nowy Targ was still in force. Historical sources provide evidence of disputes between Jews and townsmen striving to maintain status quo. Nevertheless, according to contemporary accounts of travelers visiting the Podhale in the nineteenth century the town was inhabited by over a dozen Jewish families. Lease and petty trade were their main sources of income, however, due to fierce competition in trade, services and brokerage from the indigenous population they did not gain substantial profits..
The situation began to change in the middle of the nineteenth century thanks to Dr. Abraham Blumenfeld, who in 1847 came into the possession of an agro-industrial complex specializing in brewery.. He owned: a flourmill, a sawmill, a house, farm buildings and arables. In 1871 he sold his vast estate for the sum of 21,500 Rhine ducats. In order to conclude the purchase the town hall had to incur a debt with the Jewish bankers: Aron Mandl, Salomon Goldman and Józef Herz. In 1875 the property was leased to Józef Goldman and in 1894 it was overtook by Józef Herz.
Both the financial and legal si
With your financial contribution towards the development of a town description, a photo documentation or other activities, you will be awarded a donation certificate.