Polska / mazowieckie
|Synagogues, prayer houses and others||Cemeteries||Sites of martyrdom||Judaica in museums||Andere|
|Province:||mazowieckie / warszawskie (before 1939)|
|County:||nowodworski / pułtuski (before 1939)|
|Community:||Nasielsk / Nasielsk (before 1939)|
|Other names:||Насельск [j. rosyjski]|
Tomasz Kawski /
Nasielsk - a city in central Poland, in Nowy Dwór Mazowiecki County, Masovia Province. It lies 20 km north-east of Nowy Dwór Mazowiecki, 51 km north-west of Warsaw, by the Nasielna River.
In the 17th century Jews started settling down in the area of the town inhabited by gentry. The local Jewish residents belonged to the kehilla in Tykocin, but nonetheless, it had its own wooden temple erected around 1650. Its constructor was Simche Weiss, the son of Szlomo from Łuck. It was one of the most beautiful synagogues in Poland.
In the 1660s, the Jews of Nasielsk stopped paying taxes to the kahilla in Tykocin. Their excuse was that Tykocin did not pay anything for the children of Jewish refugees and exiles who settled down in Nasielsk after the war with Sweden. The result of the legal proceedings in 1671 turned out to be unfavorable for the Jews of Nasielsk.
The kehilla in Nasielsk gained independence in the 18th century. Its members became all the Jews living in Ziemia Zakroczymska (Zakroczym Land). For a short time, from 1795 to 1798, the Jews from Wyszków and the region were subordinated to the kehilla in Nasielsk. The main source of income remained inn, distillery and brewery tenancies.
In the 19th century, many Jews of Nasielsk made a living by smuggling and conducting small trade. Some of them were craftsmen. The first craft guild in Mazowsze whose members were dressmakers, furriers and haberdashers was established in Nasielsk in 1753.
It had 60 members in the years 1815 – 1862. Gradually, trade began to play an increasingly important role and that was also thanks to fairs organized in Nasielsk. There were eight fairs held each year in the town. Moreover, the exchange of goods took place in markets, and pub keeping became less and less popular. In 1844, there were 12 pubs in the town, and in 1857 as few as seven. In 1847, Hersz Kronenberg won the bid for the lease of the town of Nasielsk’s income for the period of three years. In 1830, in the Pułtusk district, Jakub Mendlowicz Bergozyna and four assistant distributors were responsible for the distribution of tobacco in Nasielsk and the region.
In 1820, apart from the abovementioned professions, Jews in Nasielsk were also owners of a tannery and a cloth factory manufacturing good quality cloth and leather. They sold their products in the neighboring localities situated in Płock, Przasnysz and Ostrołęka counties. The issue of the production and selling of vodka caused disagreements betwe
With your financial contribution towards the development of a town description, a photo documentation or other activities, you will be awarded a donation certificate.