Polska / podkarpackie
|Synagogues, prayer houses and others||Cemeteries||Sites of martyrdom||Judaica in museums||Andere|
|Province:||podkarpackie / lwowskie (before 1939)|
|County:||lubaczowski / lubaczowski (before 1939)|
|Community:||Lubaczów / Lubaczów (before 1939)|
|Other names:||ליבעטשויוו [j. jidysz]; Lubaczów [j. niemiecki]|
Location- google map, it is marked on the portal. Lubaczow (50°10’ N, 23°08’ E) is located in the eastern part of the Podkarpackie voivodeship, middle part of the Lubaczowskie county. The city lies on the Tarnogrodzki plateau at the mouth of a small river Sołotwa where it joins the river Lubaczowka (a tribuary of San), near the border with Ukraine. In 1975-1998 the city administratively belonged to Przemyskie voivodeship. Lubaczow neighbours Olszyce, Lubaczow and Cieszanow boroughs.
Lubaczow – the Jewish constituency (okręg metrykalny), the Jewish commune of believers, the juridical district Cieszanow. In 1900 the borough included: Lower Basznia (Polish: Basznia Dolna) with Tymce and Ruda, Upper Basznia (Polish: Basznia Gorna) with Czerwinki, Solotwina and Malce, Bihale with Sople and Glinki, Upper Borowa (Polish: Borowa Gorna), Burgas, Dabrowa with Kornagi, Szutki with Ruda Szutkowska, Fehlbach, Felsendorf, Kobylnica Ruska with Kamienisko and Rustyk, Kobylnica Woloska with Hryckowa, Mielniki, Szczeble and Pidlozy, Krowica Kolodowska with Cetynia, Krowica Lasowa, Krowica Sama, Lipowiec with Majdan and Lindanau, Lisie Jamy with Niwki, Lubaczow with Balaje, Huszcze, Mokrzyca and Zuki, Lukawiec, Mielniki with Hryckowa and Szczeble, Mlodow with Antoniki, Opaka, Ostrowiec with Wojtowszczyzna, Richau, Sieniawka, Szczutkow with Sysaki, Załuze.
Josek Szachny, a Jew from Lwow, in 1498, held the lease for the collection of Lubaczow municipal fees. In 1523, the Jews of Lubaczow were forbidden to brew beer and to trade, perhaps not even in nearby villages. In 1538, 18 Jewish families lived in the town and in 1562 they were in possession of only two households. In the years 1618 -1621 a Jew named Szapsaj was a leaseholder of Lubaczow castle mills, brewery and distillery. In 1618, the residents of Lubaczow demonstrated against the permission which Szapsaj had been given by the starost of Lubaczow. Moreover, peasants from Lubliniec complained about the poor quality of beer which was produced by them.
In 1630, merely five Jewish families lived in Lubaczow, whereas in 1648 approximately 120 residents of Jewish heritage lived in the town. In 1643, only three out of 130 houses in the town belonged to Jews but they were already in possession of a prayer house, which was attended by the Jews of Oleczyca as well. However, the vetting of 1662, do not mention the Jewish families living in the town at all. It is probable that it was due to the Chmielnicki Uprising and Polish-Swedish wars which desolated a vast number of towns in the region. In 1676, just five Jews were reported to be living in the town. At the turn of the 17th and 18th centuries, a mystic called Rabi Szymon, which was acknowledged as being a saint; starved himself to death while he was obeying a strict penance he had imposed on himself. It is also from this period o