Polska / mazowieckie
|Synagogues, prayer houses and others||Cemeteries||Sites of martyrdom||Judaica in museums||Andere|
|Province:||mazowieckie / lubelskie (before 1939)|
|County:||węgrowski / węgrowski (before 1939)|
|Community:||Liw / Liw (before 1939)|
|Other names:||Лив [j. rosyjski]|
Wydawnictwo Naukowe PWN /
Liw is one of the oldest towns in Eastern Mazovia. Archaeological excavation begun in 1983 has shown that a 5ha settlement existed in the nearby village of Grodzisk in the 10th, 12th, and 13th centuries. Liw likely began as an early medieval defensive point on the eastern border of Mazovia. It was an open settlement ruled by a Castellan and Mazovian Dukes. Liw was granted town privileges sometime before 1421. In 1789 Nowy Liw was founded with separate town authorities. After the incorporation of Poland into the Crown Lands of Poland it became the capital of an area called the Liw Lands and housed a county administration along with land and magistrate’s courts.
Furing the 15th-17th centuries the town grew into a large center of craft and the grain trade and was home to a customs house. Wars in the late 17th and early 18th centuries along with the rise and fast development of the neighboring town of Węgrowo led Liw to diminish in importance after the end of the 16th century. In 1795 Liw was incorporated into the Austrian Partition, in 1809 the Duchy of Warsaw, and in 1815 the Russian Partition (Kingdom of Poland). During the November uprising, 14-15 April 1831, a victorious battle was fought near Liw under the command of J. Umiński against Russian troops commanded by Ugriumow. In 1870, Liw was deprived of its town privileges.
During the Second World War, Liw was the site of conspiracy operations by the Home Army.
The town is today known for its late gothic castle of the Mazovian Dukes (built around 1429, added to in the first half of the 1500s, partially reconstructed in 1956-61) that currently serves as an armory museum and the town’s neo-g