Print | A A A | Report a bug | 39 383 782 chars | 94876 photos | 877 video | 118 audio | 1885 towns

Łazy

Polska / śląskie

Synagogues, prayer houses and others Cemeteries Sites of martyrdom Judaica in museums Andere

Summary

Province:śląskie / kieleckie (before 1939)
County:zawierciański / zawierciański (before 1939)
Community:Łazy / Łazy (before 1939)
Other names:Lasern [j. niemiecki]
לאזי [j. hebrajski]
Лазы [j. rosyjski]
 
GPS:
50.4276° N / 19.3945° E
50°25'39" N / 19°23'40" E

Location

Gedeon

Miasto Łazy jest położone w powiecie zawierciańskim, w północno-wschodniej części województwa śląskiego. Leży na pograniczu Wyżyny Śląskiej z Wyżyną Krakowsko-Częstochowską.

More

History

Adam Marczewski /

Łazy

 

The first mention of Jews in Łazy dates back to 1790. In these Times, Jewish workers resident in nearby Rokitno were employed in the local brewery. The first Jews began to settle in Łazy probably in the beginning of the XIX-th century.

In the interwar period, in 1921, Łazy was inhabited by 234 Jews. In this period, a branch of the Jewish community in Zawiercie was established in Łazy . A cemetery was never created here and the deceased were buried in the nearby Kromołów. The local house of prayer was destroyed Turing the nazi occupation.

On September 1st 1939 Germany invaded Poland, thus starting World War II. Already in the first days of the war Łazy was captured by the German troops. In the beginning of 1940, the nazi authorities of the III Reich, devised a plan concerning the conquered people of Poland. The plan was named “Generalplan Ost” (English: Master Plan East) and assumed a complete extermination of the Jewish population. The remaining Poles were to serve as slave labor force in the German industry and agriculture. The plan was first initiated in Greater Poland, Pommerania and Silesia. In Upper Silesia, initially there were plans to deport all the Jews to the General Government, however after the refusal of its authorities, a decision was made to establish the ghettos. In the beginning of 1940, the largest ghettos were established in Będzin and Sosnowiec. In reality however, they were “reserves of labor force”, transported to forced labor camps in whole Silesia.

Since October 1940, the forced labor of the Silesian Jews was organized by Albrecht Schmetl- the Special SS Reichsführer’s Representative and Chief of Police for the Employment of Foreign People’s in Upper Silesia. The worker contingents of Jewish workers were grouped and organized by the special Department of Forced Labor, which until the half of 1941 was headed by Majer Brzeski. The contingents of young Jews were next transported to forced labor camps in the Katowice and Opole regions (German: Regierungsbezirk Kattowitz, Regierungsbezirk Oppeln) .

In 1940 SS Reichsführer Heinrich Himmler established the Auschwitz-Birnekau concentration camp. It was to become the source of slave labor for the Upper Silesian Industrial Region and Zaglembie (Dąbrowskie Basin).

In 1940, the Germans

More

Local history

Adam Marczewski

Pierwsza wzmianka o przysiółku Łazy pochodzi z 1790 r. W 1795 r. Łazy znalazły się w zaborze pruskim, od 1807 r. w Księstwie Warszawskim, od 1815 r. w Królestwie Polskim. Momentem przełomowym okazała się budowa w 1848 r. Kolei Warszawsko-Wiedeńskiej. Podczas powstania styczniowego w 1863 r. w rejonie Łaz doszło do starć powstańców z oddziałami rosyjskimi.

Podczas II wojny światowej, we wrześniu 1939 r. Łazy zajęły wojska niemieckie, a w styczniu 1945 r. wojska sowieckie.

W 1967 r. Łazy otrzymały prawa miejskie.

More

 
Support a city

Support a city

With your financial contribution towards the development of a town description, a photo documentation or other activities, you will be awarded a donation certificate.

Support a city

Genealogical Indexes

JewishGen
Resources for Jewish Family History

People who like this city: