Polska / mazowieckie
|Synagogues, prayer houses and others||Cemeteries||Sites of martyrdom||Judaica in museums||Andere|
|Province:||mazowieckie / inne (before 1939)|
|County:||żuromiński / mławski (before 1939)|
|Community:||Kuczbork-Osada / Zielona (before 1939)|
The village of Kuczbork is situated in Żuromin County, Masovian Voivodeship. It has 310 inhabitants (2006).
The earliest mention of Jews living in Kuczbork is in a report written by a visitor to the diocese of Płock in 1775 who numbered the town’s Jewish population at 44. There was a Jewish cemetery and prayer room in the town at that time. The visitor wrote, “Forty four Jews live in Kuczbork, both young and old…Sixty three Jews live in the whole parish…The Jews in Kuczbork are very poor; they have a small chamber where they openly perform their rites.”
The number of Jews in Kuczbork began to increase at the beginning of the 19th century, probably due to its favorable location near the border of Poland. By 1827, there were 291 Jews in the town, who accounted for 64.7% of the entire population. Thirty years later, the number had risen to 314 Jews, who constituted 55.6% of the town’s population. In the middle of the 19th century, an autonomous commune was established in Kuczbork to which other Jewish communities from nearby towns, including Żuromin, were subordinate. At the turn of the 20th century, migration to larger towns as well as emigration (mainly to Palestine and to America via Prussia) caused a noticeable decline in the Jewish population. By 1921, only 32 Jews lived in Kuczbork.
When World War II began, the region of Poland that included Kuczbork was captured by the Germans, and the Jews of Kuczbork were deported to the ghetto in Mława and from there to Nazi extermination camps.
- Bielawski K., Kuczbork, Kirkuty – cmentarze żydowskie w Polsce [online] http://www.kirkuty.xip.pl/kuczbork.htm [Accessed: 14 May 2015].
- Szczepański J., Społeczność żydowska Mazowsza w XIX–XX w., Pułtusk 2005.
In 1869 the village of Kuczborg lost its town charter.