Polska / mazowieckie
|Synagogues, prayer houses and others||Cemeteries||Sites of martyrdom||Judaica in museums||Andere|
|Province:||mazowieckie / warszawskie (before 1939)|
|County:||otwocki / warszawski (before 1939)|
|Community:||Karczew / Karczew (before 1939)|
|Other names:||קארטשעוו [j. jidysz]; Карчев [j. rosyjski]|
Karczew is situated in Otwock County, Masovian Voivodeship. It has 10.400 inhabitants ( as of 2007). It is located in the Valley of the Central Vistula River, on its right bank.
In the 18th century the first Jews started to settle down in Karczew. Before 1794 a Jewish community was formed. In 1819, 393 Jews lived here and constituted 40% of the whole population. At the time there was a synagogue, mikvah and yeshiva, and the Hasidic movement held great influence in the community. In 1831, Polish insurgents defeated the Russian Army in the Battle of Karczew. Much later in 1869, the tsarist authorities deprived Karczew of its town rights.
In October 1940 occupying German forces opened a ghetto in the town, with about 700 Jews gathered inside its walls. In January 1941 most of the Jews were deported to the Warsaw Ghetto. The rest of them had to work in the forced labor camp for Jews in Karczew. They were responsible for deepening the channel of the Jagodzianka River. In 1943 the final forced labor camp was closed down.