Polska / małopolskie
|Synagogues, prayer houses and others||Cemeteries||Sites of martyrdom||Judaica in museums||Andere|
|Province:||małopolskie / krakowskie (before 1939)|
|County:||suski / (before 1939)|
|Community:||Jordanów / (before 1939)|
Martyna Sypniewska /
The exact date of Jewish arrival in Jordanów is unknown. Since its founding in 1564, the town saw many travelling Jewish merchants. However, their activities were limited because laws regulatated Jewish trade. For example, until 1744 Jews were banned from trading salt. It was not until the 18th century, when plans to colonize Galicia (to foster economic development and germanization) were initiated by the Empress Maria Teresa, and later continued by her son Joseph II. These led to a larger influx of Jewish settlers.
Jews were settling in the vicinity of the town, among others in the so-called Mąkacz (it was incorporated into the town only in the 1920's), where they built their own cemetery in the nineteenth century. Jews from Sucha Beskidzka, Maków Podhalański and Zawoja also used this cemetery. What is interesting, the name Mąkacz comes from the name of the famous tzadik Munk, who was buried in the Jewish cemetery in Jordanów .
The website of The Jewish Historical Institute in Warsaw informs that the Jewish community in Jordanów existed in 1870., and Encyclopedia of Jewish Life Before and During the Holocaust says that the Jewish community was founded in the beginning of the nineteenth century. In the second half of the nineteenth century, Jews from the neighboring settlements, among others from Myślenice, were subordinated to Jordanów’s Jewish Community Co-operative. Quite rapidly in 1892, Jews from Myślenice became independent from Jordanów’s Jewish Community Co-operative.
The exact date of the erection of the synagogue in Jordanów is unknown. Presumably, it took place in the second half of the nineteenth century. This is indicated by the fact that the synagogue was built in the Neo-Baroque style, characteristic of the second half of the nineteenth century. Moreover, the official list of sacral buildings from 1870 lists the synagogue in Jordanów. The synagogue was located in the town center, at the crossroad of the present-day Piłsudski and Słowacki streets. During the Second World War, it was destroyed. Today, a house stands where the synagogue once stood.
Izrael Schreiber was the first rabbi in Jordanów. ].]]. He held this office between 1892 and 1929. After his death, his father-in-law, Elkune Zoberman, became the rabbi of Jordanów .
According to a census conducte
Wydawnictwo Naukowe PWN /
Set up in the 16th century by the Jordans of Zakliczyn on the grounds of the Malejowa village. It was granted town privileges in 1564; in the 17th century the town was renowned for its cattle markets; a centre of cloth–manufacturing, pottery and salt trade; in the years 1772–1918 under the Austrian partition; since the 19th century a holiday resort; since 1884 it had a railway line. In September 1939 a fierce battle of the 10th Motorized Calvary Brigade (commander colonel S. Maczek) and local inhabitants with German forces; at the time of German occupation a centre of conspiratiorial activity of the Home Army and Bataliony Chłopskie (Peasants' Battalions). The town was destroyed in 70% and rebuilt after the war; in 1945–46 deportations of members of the Polish underground by NKVD into USSR; in 1945–50 in the region of Jordanów the Polish anti–communist underground was active. A tourist–leisure and service centre with accommodation facilities, hiking trails to Babia Góra, Luboń, Turbacz; metal and clothing industry (armature factory), small business dealing with trade and service industry. The town stretches between gentle Przykrzca and Hajdówki heights. The regular town planning layout has been preserved (17th century) with a big market on the streets' crossing; neo–Gothic Blessed Trinity Church (1913, J. Sas Zubrzycki). There is a Chrobacze settlement with a wooden manor house (second half of 18th century) in the area of Jordanów.