Print | A A A | Report a bug | 47 611 889 chars | 84535 photos | 791 video | 117 audio | 1926 towns

Jedlińsk

Polska / mazowieckie

Synagogues, prayer houses and others Cemeteries Sites of martyrdom Judaica in museums Andere

Summary

Province:mazowieckie / kieleckie (before 1939)
County:radomski / Radom (before 1939)
Community:Jedlińsk / Jedlińsk (before 1939)
Other names:
 
GPS:
51.5140° N / 21.1159° E
51°30'50" N / 21°06'57" E

History

MartaD. /

It is not known exactly when Jews settled in Jedlińsk. We know that, in the 18th century, there was an already well-organised community there. As there was no separate Jewish Community Council here, the local Jews belonged to the Gmina in Radomsko. However, the JedlińsK Jews had their own , at ul. Warszawska 6. The same street also contained the Jewish .

According to a 1921 register, Jews comprised half of Jedlińsk's inhabitants - 762 out of a total of 1,490.

Following the outbreak of World War II and the German occupation of Poland, a ghetto was set up in Jedlińsk. Around one thousand Jews were imprisoned there, including the Jewish residents of Przytyk. The ghetto was liquidated in August 1942. The Germans murdered the old and the sick on the spot. The remaining ghetto inhabitants were transported to Białobrzeg, and then sent to the Treblinka extermination camp.

Bibliography:

  • Jedlinsk, [w:] The Encyclopedia of jewish life before and during the Holocaust, Ed. S. Spector, G. Wigoder, Vol. 1, New York 2001, p. 570.

More

Local history

Wydawnictwo Naukowe PWN /

Jedlińsk was established in 1530 by M. Jedleński on the land belonging to the village of Jedlonka. It belonged to the Witowski, Załuski and Danglów families. It was an Arian centre( a school transformed into catholic junior high school by S. Witkowski under the auspices of the Kraków's Academy) between 1560-1630; craft centre (shoemaking, black-smithing) and trade centre( Jedlińsk was popular for the delivery of crayfish to Warsaw). From 1795, Jedlińsk found itself within the Austrian partition;  from 1809 it belonged to the Duchy of Warsaw; a battle between Polish and Austrian troops took place on 11 June 1809; from 1815 it was incorporated into the Russian partition(Kingdom of Poland). In 1870, Jedlińsk was deprived of its town privileges.

This entry has been prepared on the basis of material obtained from PWN.

More

Genealogical Indexes

JewishGen
Resources for Jewish Family History

People who like this city: