Polska / dolnośląskie
|Synagogues, prayer houses and others||Cemeteries||Sites of martyrdom||Judaica in museums||Andere|
|Province:||dolnośląskie / inne (before 1939)|
|County:||Kłodzki / Glatz (before 1939)|
|Community:||Duszniki-Zdrój / Bad Reinerz (before 1939)|
|Other names:||Bad Reinerz [j. niemiecki]|
Duszniki-Zdrój – miasto położone na południowym zachodzie Polski, w województwie dolnośląskim, powiat kłodzki. Odległe 22 km na zachód od Kłodzka, 111 km na południowy zachód od Wrocławia, 459 km na południowy zachód od Warszawy.
Miłosz Gudra /
The turn of the 10th and 11th centuries in the area of today's Dusznik-Zdrój saw the construction of a wooden keep that would serve as the residence of the local landowners, the Panowic family. The wooden structure was later replaced with a stone castle with a tall tower.
The first mention of the town itself comes from 1324. It received its town charter in 1346 following its settlement with German law. It drew its income mainly from trade and the right to store goods being moved on the Bohemia-Silesia route. The 15th century gives us the first mention of the existance of a spa called "Zimny Zdrój".
During the period of religious warfare, the castle was taken and held by the Hussites, After it was abandoned in 1560, it fell into ruin, with fragments of the walls and a portion of the tower surviving to the present day. In the mid 14th century, an iron industry developed in Duszniki, but the ore deposists ran out quite quickly. By the end of the 16th century, trade was booming in Duszniki, along with textile and paper industries. The town built a stone church dedicated to St. Paul and Peter. In 1584 a city hall was built, and in 1605 the paper mill that continues working to this day.
The Thirty Years' War (1618-1648) halted the town's development until the second half of the 17th century. That was when Duszniki became an important centre of paper production, textile manufacture and trade, as well as a health spa.
On August 17th, 1669, the former Polish king John Casimir stopped in Duszniki on his way to France following his abdication.
In 1748 the first examination of the local mineral springs was carried out, and in 1769 Duszniki officially became a health spa after "Zimny Zdrój" was entered into the list of then-Prussia's healing springs.
In 1797 spa treatment began in a makeshift shack with six tubs using heated water from "Zimny Zdrój". That same year saw the discovery of "Letni Zdrój", known today as "Pieniawa Chopina". Soon after, in 1802, pavillons were built outside of town, along with bathing equipment, a public house, and the first inns.
At the start of the 19th century, Duszniki became one of the most notable spas in the region. Another spring was discovered in 1817: "Źródło Ulryki", today known as "Jan Kazimierz". In 1826, Frederic Chopin, then 16