Polska / podkarpackie
|Synagogues, prayer houses and others||Cemeteries||Places of martyrology||Judaica in museums||Andere|
|Province:||podkarpackie / lwowskie (before 1939)|
|County:||przemyski / przemyski (before 1939)|
|Community:||Dubiecko / (before 1939)|
Dubiecko to wieś (do 1934 r. miasto) położona w województwie podkarpackim, w powiecie przemyskim, w gminie Dubiecko, nad rzeką San, na Pogórzu Dynowskim. Jest siedzibą gminy Dubiecko.
Małgorzata Kuźma /
Jews settled down in Dubiecko at the end of 16th century, although their presence there was first noted in documents from 1622. In the first half of the 18th century, Jews already had a kehillah, a synagogue and a cemetery. In 1765, 116 Jews lived in Dubiecko and the Jewish community comprised 136 Jews. Twenty years later, there were already 225 Jews in the town. In 1774, two Jewish butchers named Lejba were reported in Dubiecko. In 1799, the bishop of Przemyśl, Jan Bokuma, ordered that the synagogue, which was under construction at that time, be pulled down because the required permission for its erection had not been obtained .
At the beginning of the 18th century, Jews worked as tailors. Two of them rented houses and rooms from townsmen, thereby they were included in the group of bailiffs. Herszko – a Jewish tailor – rented a flat from the townsman named Boryczka while Jew Liber lived at Mr. Gąska’s place. The tailor Nosym owned his own house which was located on the street behind the embankment of the town.
In the second half of the 17th century, Jew Naftal was a barber surgeon in Dubiecko. He rented a flat in the town and employed a journeyman. In the second half of the 17th century and in the 18th century, Dubiecko Jews performed the following jobs : a butcher – 1, a tailor – 1, a furrier -1, a barber surgeon – 1.
In the 18th and 19th centuries, the town was famous for its fairs. The Jewish population was steadily increasing. In 1799, their community consisted of 227 people, in 1808 of the number increased up to 279, in 1824 it numbered 376 people and in 1880 the Jewish community comprised 666 members. In the 19th century, the Jews from Dubiecko dominated local trade and craft. They ran 2 taverns and 5 taprooms in the market square alone. Since 1895, the Credit Society existed there and was managed by Pinkas Kanner. In the 1830s Cwi Elimelech Szapiro was a rabbi in Dubiecko. Then, he became a Tzadik in Dynowo. In 1900, 976 Jews lived in Dubiecko while the entire Jewish community comprised 1351 members.
The town was severely damaged during the First World War. Furthermore, the Russian army plundered Dubiecko, including the Jewish property. Many Jewish soldiers did not return after the war; they remained in Austria and Germany or emigrated to America. In November 1918, local peasants plundered shops owned by
Małgorzata Kuźma /
The first mention of Dubiecko as a royal settlement located on the right-bank the
Since Dubiecko was located on the so-called ‘Hungarian’ trade route, the Kmits wanted it to be granted city rights. This family, using the Szreniawa (Srzeniawa or Śreniawa) coat of arms .
Granting the city rights to Dubiecko was connected with the move of the settlement from the right bank of the San river to the left bank. On the right bank of the river a village was created. It was named Ruskie Dubiecko, and from the end of the 15th century Rusia Wieś. Since 1407 Dubiecko was a city of the former Sanok district, and the home to many families – the Kmits, the Stadniccy, the Krasiccy and the Konarscy.
In the 15th century, Dubiecko was inhabited by a Polish population. Proof of this are the names and surnames of the townsmen which are preserved in documents: Goworek, Dąbiec, Laszko, Szafranek, Stanisław, Stodola, Wawrzek, Marcin Masz, Jakub, Stachna .
At the beginning of 16th century Dubiecko was given to Piotr K