Polska / zachodniopomorskie
|Synagogues, prayer houses and others||Cemeteries||Places of martyrology||Judaica in museums||Andere|
|Province:||zachodniopomorskie / inne (before 1939)|
|County:||stargardzki / szadzki (before 1939)|
|Community:||Dobrzany / Jakobshagen (before 1939)|
|Other names:||Jakobshagen [j. niemiecki]|
Dobrzany is a small town located in the Zachodniopomorski district, Stargard province. It is 32 km from Stargard Szczeciński, the capital town of the county, and it is the only town in the district with no other district or national roads leading to it . Dobrzany is situated in the lake district of Pojezierze Ińskie. The Pęzinka River surrounds the town in the south, flowing into Szadzkie Lake .
Małgorzata Grzenda /
It is known that one Jewish family settled in Dobrzany soon after 1700. It is evidenced by the signature of a man called Arnd of Dobrzany on a document from the 1706 conference of the Pomeranian Jewish Association (German: Pommersche Landjudenschaft) which took place in Stargard Szczeciński (Stargard). In the beginning, Arnd paid 4 thalers for his privileges. The report of the town’s municipality from 1729 evidenced that Moyses Isaac possessed a croft farm house in Dobrzany. The report on Jews in Pomeranian towns from 1722 also revealed that a Jew living in Dobrzany struggled to earn a living by trading linens and sometimes slaughtering. A man called Moses Abraham, who had no privilege, lived at Moyses Isaac’s house for many years. He was probably a very good friend of Mayor Kieselbach and the garrison commander, Captain Dallon, who, already in 1721, made efforts to have a privilege granted to him. Moses Abraham was eventually granted the privilege as he performed the important function of the army supplier and butcher, and the town hoped he would pay high taxes. In 1728, he paid 23 thalers and 22 pennies for the state protection. He also kept a farm-hand named Hirsch Moyses (Moses) who most likely was his relative. A report of the Pomeranian Government (German: Pommersche Regierung) from 1731 reveals that Moyses Abraham paid for his privileges. Six years later in a municipal report, there is evidence that Moses Abraham owned a house in Dobrzany where he lived with his wife Jüdigen. They had three daughters and two sons; his older son, Arndt Moses, was married to Rachel and lived with his father as his farm-hand. He traded woolen goods and small articles; from time to time he also worked as the butcher, since the Christian butcher was negligent and did not provide the town with meat. Moses Abraham was respected and paid from 18 to 20 German thalers a year for his privilege. In 1764, two Jewish families lived in Dobrzany: the families of Moses Hirsch and Aron Moses. They both paid 15 thalers annually. A year later, when Hillen, the military and tax official (German: Kriegs und Steuerrat) made a list of Jews living in subordinated towns, two families were found in Dobrzany: Moses Abraham along with Aron and Joseph, as well as Aron Joseph along with Abraham Aron and Meyer. The list shows that six Jews lived in the town at th
Archeological findings indicate that Dobrzany was populated as early as the Stone Age. The oldest traces of permanent settlement in the area date back to the 7th century. In the 10th-12th centuries two defensive burgs existed, preserved today to the west and east of the town. It is assumed that a burg established by the newest settlement, dating to the turn of the 12th century, gave rise to the origins of the town.
From the beginning of the 14th century Dobrzany was the property of the Pomeranian knight, Steglitz. However, in 1336 the settlement was granted Magdeburg rights by another representative of the mighty Pomorze family – Jakub von Guntensberg. It is from his name that Dobrzany assumed the name of Jakobshagen which it was known as until 1945. Following WWII the town underwent several name changes – first to Jakubowo, later to Dobrzanek, and finally to Dobrzany. In 1359the Steglitz knights, the vassals of a duke from the Szczcin line, became vassals of the Wołogłowski duke. As a result, Dobrzany came under the authority of the Duchy of Szadzko, and the town was granted its coat of arms. From 1430 Dobrzany used its own seal, depicting a person with a halo holding a sword in the right hand and a crook in the left. On the seal was the following inscription: “Secret. Civitalis Jakobshagen”. Following the Reformation when the town became completely dependent on the duke, the seal depicted an upturned griffin’s claw on a shield with the inscription “S.Civitatis Jakobshagen”. After several changes during the 19th and 20th centuries, the town returned to its 1618 coat of arms. The coat of arms has a silver background with a horizontal blue line, on which there is a red griffin’s paw with gold claws. Dobrzany residents were engaged mostly in agriculture and to a lesser degree in crafts, such as beer brewing. Two inns in the town were of great importance as they were located on the town’s outskirts by the main road. They were visited frequently, and the dukes would stay there when they were hunting in the woods around Szadzko. Dobrzany was a center of local trade, mostly of farm products, and it was given the right to organize two trade fairs a year. One of the oldest occupations of its residents was milling. In the Middle Ages a mill operated in Dobrzany, l
With your financial contribution towards the development of a town description, a photo documentation or other activities, you will be awarded a donation certificate.