Polska / lubuskie
|Synagogues, prayer houses and others||Cemeteries||Sites of martyrdom||Judaica in museums||Andere|
|Province:||lubuskie / inne (before 1939)|
|County:||strzelecko-drezdenecki / Friedeberg (before 1939)|
|Community:||Dobiegniew / Woldenberg (before 1939)|
|Other names:||Woldenberg [j. niemiecki]|
The town of Dobiegniew is situated in the Strzelce-Drezdenko District, Lubuskie Province. It has a population of 3.1 thousand (2004). It lies on the Wielgie Lake in the Dobiegniew Lake District.
Jews lived in Woldenberg – in time creating a religious community. We do not know when the Jews came to town. From pieces of information we know that they were already in the city, in the 16th century. We know that the settlement of Jewish families in New March was legally limited, from the decrees of Brandenburg electors from 1671 and 1700. But high legal payments made by Jews for the city, tempted the authorities to exceed those limits. It is hard to identify on which streets and in which houses Jews lived. In 1897 in Woldenberg lived 4667 people, only 65 were Catholics and 131 Jews (2,8% of the total inhabitants). Time and modern history dealt very cruelly with the Jewish heritage. In1921 in Dobiegniewo lived 51 Jews. There is a Jewish cemetery preserved in the city, located by Bohaterów Getta street. On the unfenced 19th century cemetery only fragments of tombstones remained.
As early as the 12th century a Slavonic fishing settlement existed there. From 1250 it was owned by the Order of Cistercians. In 1296 the area was seized by Brandenburg. In 1298 Woldenberg was granted municipal status. During WWII, in the years 1939 – 1945, the Germans established there the largest POW camp – Woldenberg Oflag II C . Almost 7 thousand Polish prisoners of war taken during the September Campaign of 1939 were imprisoned there. In February 1945 Woldenberg was seized by the Soviet army. During the fights 85% of the town buildings were destroyed. After 1945 the town’s name was changed to Dobiegniew.
The places of interest in Dobiegniew include the 14th century town walls and the 14th – 15th century Gothic church.