Polska / zachodniopomorskie
|Synagogues, prayer houses and others||Cemeteries||Places of martyrology||Judaica in museums||Andere|
|Province:||zachodniopomorskie / inne (before 1939)|
|County:||koszaliński / (before 1939)|
|Community:||Bobolice / (before 1939)|
|Other names:||Bobolice (po 1945 roku)|
Bobolice is a town in the West Pomerania Province, Koszalin county. It is situated between Koszalin and Szczecinek, in the Bytowskie Lake District. The river Chociel runs through the town and Chlewo lake is located nearby.
The first Jews settled in Bobolice in 1717, although the fee of 6 thalers for settling in town was already established in 1712. Some records from 1717 mention that David Salomon from Złotów (Flatow) lived there temporarily, together with 5 other Jews. As the situation in Poland was very unstable, they searched refuge in Bobolice. Salomon applied to get a permit to settle in Szczecinek (Neustettin). Michael Fischel lived in Bobolice since 1728. He paid 19 thalers and 4 groschen for the protection of the state. Even though he did not have a “good certificate”, as the report “Über das Judenwesen in Hinterpommern” (“Jewish Population in West Pomerania”) from 1731 put it, he was granted privileges on October 28th ,1718 for the price of 41 thalers. In 1737 seven people lived in Fischel’s household- him, his wife, his sons David and Mendel, his daughter Maria and two servants. He had one more son and daughter, but they lived in Poland. In the 1750s there were already 14 Jews living in Bobolice- their names are mentioned in the book. In 1764 they paid a fee of 25 thalers and 12 groshen for protection. There was a list of Pomeranian Jews, who “in return for protection were obliged to sell goods from the local factory for a certain price abroad”. Jacub Moses from Bobolice was also on this list. As it was stated on a receipt from April 22nd 1767, he paid 600 thalers to the government in Berlin. When in 1779 Israel Salomon, a Jew living in Karlino (Körlin), wanted to marry Henne Isaac from Bobolice, he had to accept wool from the government and export china in return of their permission. In 1782 the number of Jews living in Bobolice was 22, and two years later- 25. As it happened in other Pomeranian towns, exclusive right to trade amber was passed on to a Jewish merchant. In 1785 the government in Berlin rejected a request of the Bobolice merchants to forbid Jews to trade in paper, gunpowder, scrap metal and white and blue starch. They reasoned their decision stating that “neither a union of merchants, nor a guild is entitled to exclusive trade of those goods”. This was a regulation issued by Pommersche Kammer (Pomerania Chamber). In 1807-1812 the magistrate was about to bring an action against Jews not affiliated in a union. After 1810 the number of Jews in Bobolice increased, mainly because Jews fro
Bobolice was first mentioned in source documents pretty late, only on August 12th, 1320. The name Bobolice appeared in a document of purchase written in Słupsk. The document stated, that the borders of the order reached the Bobolice Land. The name was mentioned again in a document issued on April 17th, 1340 by bishop Friderick von Eickstadt, when Bobolice was granted town rights under Lübeck Law. At that time the town was also given a coat of arms. Two knights: Bartuszewic and Goldbeck were held responsible of introducing town rights Trade started to develop rapidly in Bobolice, which attracted many new settlers, especially from Germany. The town, however, did not manage to develop due to pests, fires and frequent change of proprietors. It was owned, among others, by the bishops of Kamien Pomorski and Pomeranian families. A new chance for development showed up in 1626, when the town was granted a privilege to organize four fairs a year. On September 15th ,1653 Katarzyna Kleyers was accused of witchcraft, being involved in a pact with the Devil, killing babies. She was burned at the stake in Bobolice.
In the 17th century the town became part of Brandenburg and started to decline, whereas the 18th century brought its renaissance, when a railway connection with Połczyn Zdrój and Sławno was opened, and the road to Koszalin was built. Before the outbreak of World War II the town numbered 6,147 inhabitants, it had its own powerhouse, sawmill, brickyard, furniture and agricultural machinery factories. By the time when the Red Army conquered Bobolice on March 5th 1945 and the town was annexed to Poland, it had been destroyed in 75%. Renovation works began in the 1960’s, trade and craft began to develop, culture and education gained in importance (Bobolice was home to the famous “Tunnel”club) .
With your financial contribution towards the development of a town description, a photo documentation or other activities, you will be awarded a donation certificate.