Print | A A A | Report a bug | 41 592 345 chars | 95499 photos | 878 video | 118 audio | 1886 towns

Synagogue, Żydowska street

Heritage Sites – Synagogues, prayer houses and others
Polska / świętokrzyskie

The oldest information about the synagogue in Sandomierz goes back to 1418. In 1647 a fire on Żydowska Street destroyed the synagogue. Already that year the Jews received a permission for building a new synagogue. In 1656 John II Casimir Vasa gave all the real estate belonging to the Jews of Sandomierz to the town authorities, probably punishing the Jewish community for the collaboration with the Swedish invaders. However, already in 1658 the king allowed the Jews to rebuild their district in Sandomierz. In 1686 the synagogue burned down due to a fire. Two years later the Jews were granted a consent of the town office to rebuild the synagogue. The synagogue erected then was partially destroyed during the fire of the town in 1711. In 1712 as the consequence of charges against the Jews of Sandomierz of ritual murders King Augustus II demanded that the synagogue be transformed into a Roman Catholic chapel. However, the order was not probably implemented. The synagogue of Sandomierz burned down again in 1758. Then the Jews were granted a permission to construct a new synagogue whose building has existed until today. During WW II it was devastated by the Germans. Currently, the synagogue is located at 4 Żydowska Street. The State Archives in Sandomierz is situated in that building now .[1.1] Jewish bathrooms operated in Sandomierz form the 17th century.

Show footnotes

Hide footnotes

[1.1] Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce (The Catalogue of Pieces of Art in Poland) vol. 3: województwo kieleckie (province of Kielce), edited by J. Z. Łoziński and B. Wolff, fasc. 11: Powiat sandomierski (County of Sandomierz), Warszawa 1962, pp. 90-91; Z. Guldon, K. Krzystanek, Ludność żydowska w miastach lewobrzeżnej części województwa sandomierskiego w XVI-XVIII wieku. Studium osadniczo-demograficzne (The Jewish Population in the Towns of Left-bank Part of the Province of Sandomierz in the 16th - 18th Centuries. The Study on the Settlement and Demography), Kielce 1990, pp. 11, 14-16.

The Administrator has made all possible efforts to present the content accuratly and up-to-date in a way that does not infringe upon the rights of third parties, including copyrights, but cannot guarantee it. Therefore erroneous information on the website may not be the basis for claims. If you have any questions, please contact us at the following e-mail address: sztetl@jewishmuseum.org.pl

Location

Zoom map

GPS:
50.6800° N / 21.7481° E
50°40'48" N / 21°44'53" E
Lokalizacja dokładna

Gallery

More