The Jewish cemetery in Przasnysz (45 Leszno Street) was established in the 18th century. The last recorded burial took place in 1939. During the Second World War, the Germans devastated the cemetery. They used matzevot to pave the roads in the town. After the war, the southeastern part of the cemetery was taken over by Przasnysz Public Utility Company. The rest was intended as a park.
In the area of 1.44 ha, 33 tombstones have been preserved , the oldest of which come from the second half of the 19th century. The matzevot were made of granite and sandstone. They bear typical ornamentation and tombstone inscriptions in Hebrew and Yiddish. Fragments of the cemetery wall have been preserved.
In 1986, the Society of the Enthusiasts of Przasnysz Land (with its seat on 1 Maja Street) conducted tidying up works in the cemetery. A few preserved matzevot were brought from the damaged Jewish cemetery in Chorzele, of which a lapidarium was built. Also a monument was erected with Hebrew and Polish inscriptions: "In remembrance of those who lived among us".
The Administrator has made all possible efforts to present the content accuratly and up-to-date in a way that does not infringe upon the rights of third parties, including copyrights, but cannot guarantee it. Therefore erroneous information on the website may not be the basis for claims. If you have any questions, please contact us at the following e-mail address: email@example.com
- 53.0140° N / 20.8869° E
53°00'50" N / 20°53'12" E