Print | A A A | Report a bug | 42 194 464 chars | 93091 photos | 879 video | 118 audio | 1888 towns

The Stadniccy family gentry willingly settled the Jews on their lands. The Jews had had arrived there about the 16th century. Before the end of the 16th century they established a kehilla. The existence of the synagogue was mentioned in 1606. There survived a cemetery from that period. In 1676 33 Jewish families lived there[1.1]. At the beginning of the next century they built another synagogue. In 1765 683 Jewish families lived there, and 1,263 Jews were members of the kehilla. Since 1792 a jüdisch-deutsche Schule functioned there.

In 1870 the Jewish municipality had consisted of 707 people, and during the next 30 years their population increased to 1,988 people, in the city there were 1,240 Jews, who constitued 56.1% of the citizens. The kehilla maintained three religious schools. Since 1896 the Loan Company had functioned, Chaskel Krebsa had been a chairman, and a year later the Loan Company was established, Chaskel Erdheim had been a chairman.

In the second half of the 19th century the number of Hasidim in Jewish society was gaining prominence. They were mainly followers of Tsaddik from Sącz. They were lead by Tzadic Beniamin Zeew, who was an apprentice of Chaim Halberstam. There were also followers of Tsaddiks: Mordechaj Dawid Unger and Ascher Jeshajahu. In 1907 Sinaj Halberstam became a new Tsaddik, he died during World War II in Siberia. The dynasty of Tzaddiks from Żmigród was continued after his death in Israel by his son Aron. During World War I the city lost a large part of its citizens, because in 1921 it had merely 1,959 citizens, including 940 Jews. During the Interwar Period this number increased to 1,460. A few parties and youth organizations functioned there: Mizrachi, He-Techija, Akiba and Ha-Noar ha-Cijoni.

Hitler's occupation brought an extermination of the local Jewish community. In the spring of 1940 the gestapo and the German military police shot 150 Jews there, they were buried in the collective grave in the local Jewish cemetery. In 1941 in the city about 800 Jews lived. Hitler’s followers established a ghetto for them. Many Jews from neighbouring villages were also detained there, for example from Osieka, and a group of Jews displaced from Krosno, in which there were two citizens of Łódź. Hersch Eisenberg was a leader of the Judenrat. At the beginning of 1942, the gestapo shot 16 Jews in the local Jewish cemetery. The next executions, which were tentatively organized there, took a toll of many lives. During a liquidation of the ghetto, in which 2,800 Jews were detained, on the 7th of July 1942 in Hałbowo Hitler's followers killed 1,257 of them, including Aron Halberstam, the rabbi, whereas about 40 in the local Jewish cemetery. A week later 500 Jews were sent to the camp in Płaszów, on the 15th of August the next group of 150 people, to the camp in Zasław In the autumn 1942 the Jews, who remained in the ghetto, were sent to the extermination camp in Bełżec. On the 3rd of August 1943 the group of Jews, who came from Żmigród, were shot in the forest in Warzyce. At the area of a nearby Huta Polańska, six Jews were shot, and on the 9th of February 1944 in Falszówka another six Jews were killed, and Władysław Krzysztyniak, who had been responsible for hiding them.

 

Show footnotes

Hide footnotes

[1.1] Z. Budzyński, Ludność pogranicza polsko-ruskiego w drugiej połowie XVIII w. Stan. Rozmieszczenie. Struktura wyznaniowa i polityczna, t. 2, s. 420; na 1785 r. podaje zaledwie 475.

The Administrator has made all possible efforts to present the content accuratly and up-to-date in a way that does not infringe upon the rights of third parties, including copyrights, but cannot guarantee it. Therefore erroneous information on the website may not be the basis for claims. If you have any questions, please contact us at the following e-mail address: sztetl@jewishmuseum.org.pl

Gallery