At the beginning of 1942 the Nazis organized a labour camp in Budzyń for Jewish population. The camp was situated in the industrial district of Kraśnik by the road Kraśnik-Urzędów.
In the area of 2.68 ha there were 8 wooden barracks. The area of the cemetery was fenced with high voltage barbed wire. The first transports of Jews to the camp in Budzyń began in spring 1942. In the camp there were Jews from Kraśnik, Bełżyce, Janów Lubelski, Mińsk, Mohylów, Smoleńsk as well as Jews from Vienna and Slovakia. After the fall of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising in 1943 the Nazis brought to Budzyń over 1 thousand Warsaw Jews.
On the initiative of Aleksander Szymański in January 1943 a special meeting was held in Kraśnik. As a result of it, 13 Jews and 12 Ukrainian guards escaped from the camp in Budzyń. In the second half of 1943 the camp was inhabited by 300 Jewish women. In 1943 the camp numbered about 3 thousand prisoners. Until 22 October 1943 the camp in Budzyń was treated as a subcamp of Majdanek. After 22 October 1943 the camp became an independent concentration camp. The camp prisoners were employed in the Heinkel’s plant or forced to dig sewage ditches, clear the forests and extend the camp.
On 10 June 1944 the Jews who were staying in the Budzyń camp were transported to the 4th field of the concentration camp in Majdanek. Among the deported ones were: Weisman Nutta from Zakrzówek, Feingol Abram, Fiser Icek, Fajer Orsiel and Majer Dawid from Kraśnik[1.1].
The camp was dissolved on 22 July 1944 and the prisoners staying there were taken to the camp in Płaszów near Cracow and to the Mauthausen camp[1.2].
On the road Kraśnik-Urzędów there is a commemorative plaque to the memory of the murdered in Budzyń. It was set by the Kraśnik scouts.
The camp commandants:
- Otto Hantke – held his function from September to December 1942, he shot 21 Jews.
- Heinrich Stoschek – held his function in the first six weeks of 1943.
- Reinhold Feix – held his function until August 1943.
- Werner Mohr – held his function for 4 weeks.
- Fritz Tauscher – held his function from the second half of September 1943.
- Josef Leipold – held his function from January to June 1944.
[1.1] W. Szymanek, Z dziejów..., p. 41-45.
[1.2] J. Bartosiewicz, Pociągi pełne niebezpieczeństwa..., p. 78.
The Administrator has made all possible efforts to present the content accuratly and up-to-date in a way that does not infringe upon the rights of third parties, including copyrights, but cannot guarantee it. Therefore erroneous information on the website may not be the basis for claims. If you have any questions, please contact us at the following e-mail address: email@example.com
- 50.9572° N / 22.1775° E
50°57'25" N / 22°10'39" E